You must’ve heard of the yellow magic powder called Turmeric. Being one of the most famous Indian spices with an extensive list of health and beauty benefits, it should be a must-have in your kitchen cabinet. From face masks to golden milk, it can make you feel and look even better.
Considered a superfood in the field of nutrition, antioxidant-packed turmeric is also a great product for your body. Its anti-inflammatory effects can help calm redness, minimize scarring, illuminate the skin, and even help brighten acne spots.
In order to experience all the benefits it brings, make sure to check out our recipes and recommendation below!
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- It’s a powerful antioxidant
Antioxidants prevent oxidative damage through reactions with free radicals coming from the environment. As it contains high levels of powerful enzymes such as polyphenols, flavonoids, tannins, and ascorbic acid, it helps slow down the aging process in your body and promotes regeneration, while helping your body fight external damaging factors.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties
In traditional medicine, it’s used as an antibiotic and an antiseptic as it helps reduce inflammation and slow down infections. Since inflammation is closely linked to the development of tumors and other malign growths, its anti-inflammatory property is likely to be utilized in the pre-chemo stage of the healing.
- It should lower your risk of heart diseases
Since heart diseases are the number 1 reason for death in the world, it’s important to focus on simple steps we can take to lower our risks. Due to its composition, it has been proven to improve the function of the endothelium, the lining of your blood vessels.
There are multiple ways you can use turmeric powder, be it as a spice in foods or as a refreshing face mask. As it’s easily accessible, we prepared a few main ways you can use it to enjoy all the benefits it can bring.
Turmeric Face Mask
What you’ll need:
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely milled oats
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl
- Gently clean your face with a mild cleansing gel
- Apply evenly and let sit for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, gently wash it off using lukewarm water and apply your usual moisturizer.
Although it may seem unusual, turmeric milk, also called Golden Milk, is different than other milk-based drinks. Made out of plant-based milk and spices, it aims to reduce inflammation and pain.
You can also consume it like any other hot drink, according to your preferences.
What you’ll need:
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 100 ml plant-based milk (almond, rice, cashew)
- Mix all dry ingredients into a separate cup
- Warm the milk on the stove and add the spices to the mixture until it boils
- Reduce the heat and simmer often for another 7-8 minutes
- Drink your Golden Milk warm to reap all the benefits it can bring
Find more delicious turmeric rich recipes and DIY self-care in Bellabeat Coach.